Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 555: 1996 Topps Chrome - #116

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Topps Chrome
Card number:  116

The 1996 Topps Chrome set was a far cry from what the brand has turned into today.  Can you believe that there were only two versions of each base card?  That's right, there's a regular version (shown above) and a refractor version (seeded 1:12 packs) which I don't (yet) own Larkin's version.  There's no fancy colored border parallels nor is there a plethora of serially numbered cards.  Nope, 1996 was a much simpler time - and the rather blase card design fits the era (even if it doesn't hold up all that well today). 

In addition to the base card, Barry also has a subset card (with corresponding refractor parallel), neither of which I own yet.  It's probably apparent by the fact that I am still missing three out of four cards from the 1996 Topps Chrome set that I'm not overly enamored with the set as a whole.  Oh sure, someday I'll try and track down the missing Larkin cards...but until then, this one base card will have to serve as a placeholder for all of '96 Topps Chrome in my binder.

Comments