Featured Post

Oh, Hello Series 1. Nice to Meet You!

I made a special trip to Wal-Mart yesterday for one reason, and one reason alone.  To find me some of that brand new 2018 Topps baseball card goodness.  Based on what I've seen on blogs, twitter, instragram, etc., I think I like this year's design quite a bit better than the past few iterations of the flagship brand...but you never can know for sure until you hold the cards in hand. 

Ergo....


That's two of the mini boxes from Wal-Mart (which come with Kris Bryant cards, big whoop).  I'll save the second box for another day, but let's rip one of them now to get our first taste of Topps 2018.

For those that are wondering, when you open up one of these boxes you a greeted with a single, large block of cards in a clear plastic wrap.  Anticlimactic I guess, but probably better for the environment as compared to having a wrapper for every group of eight cards.

As you can tell from the above photograph, my first card of 2018 is of Adam Jones.

What other firsts did I get?

First card of a guy I never heard of before opening the pack:  Felipe Rivero

First true star card:  Clayton Kershaw

First guy I like for my fantasy team even if he hurts my "real team":  Anthony Rizzo

First Marlin, because you know I pull Marlins all the time:  Christian Yelich (who isn't really a Marlin now I guess).

First Cincinnati Reds card:  Scooter Gennett.  This turned out to be the only Reds card in the entire pack of 72 cards.  Sounds about right, doesn't it?  I did pull a total of five Marlins though in case you thought I was exaggerating about my Miami pulling prowess.

First Aaron Judge card (of which there will be hundreds probably by the end of the year)...

First Jose Altuve, a guy who might become my next player to collect.

First insert - Alex Wood

Second Jose Altuve - and first insert that I will keep...

And finally, my first image variation:  Yasiel Puig  (and perhaps the first card to go on eBay for me this year)!

That basically does it for that box of 72 cards.  Overall, I think I like this set quite a bit better than most of Topps recent flagship offerings.  The images are varied, the colors are crisp, and the team logos are easy to see at a glance.  I still wish Topps would drastically cut back on the useless inserts, but otherwise, this is a fairly solid effort.  So solid, in fact, that I may actually collect Topps flagship this year.  We shall see how close I get after I open up my second box I guess.

Comments

  1. If you don't plan on keeping the Bryant highlight cards, I'm looking for #1,3,7,10,11,20, and 21.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I've seen the Rizzo. I wonder if that's one of the times he fielded the bunt on the 3rd base side of the infield?
    If WW doesn't clean you out of the Bryant cards... let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment