Featured Post

Theme Week: COMC Week Returns with Some Giant Creatures!

If I'm being honest, one of my main reasons for making my Check Out My Cards purchase back in December was that I wanted to do some serious damage to one set that basically had about zero interest on the blogs:  2015 Upper Deck Dinosaurs.

Ever since I was a little kid, I've loved dinosaurs.  That love hasn't gone away...and in fact, now that my wife and I are expecting our first child (a baby boy) in May, I think my love of dinosaur related items is actually going up, not down!  Anyhow, I felt it was high time that I made a serious effort to complete the set (both the base and the inserts).  Unfortunately (as you'll see), I didn't finish the whole set off...but I did make some good progress so I'm still happy.

For today's COMC post, let's look at the base cards that I was able to acquire. 

For some reason, a bunch of the base cards ended up being kind of pricey (at least I thought so).  For example, the Troodon card set me back $2.25 for that one base card alone.  That's crazy...but it also meant that if I didn't buy it I'd end up two "regular base" cards short of the whole set...so I bit the proverbial bullet and overpaid for the Troodon. 

Unfortunately, there is still one more base card that has eluded me (and it wasn't available on COMC at the time of my purchase).  Still, I was able to knock off 13 of the 14 regular base cards that I needed so I'll take that kind of progress!
The card backs are nice in the set as well.

Since the Upper Deck Dinosaurs set is, in fact, produced by Upper Deck you know there is a bunch of short prints (which are totally unnecessary in a set like this).  Being short prints, I'm missing quite a few of them (16 out of 50) but I was able to get one that I needed even though I still feel like I had to overpay ($3.75).

That Glyptodon looks like a raccoon crossed with a turtle to me.  Pretty weird little dude, that's for sure.  The card back says that the Glyptodon was 5 feet tall, 10-11 feet long, and weighed 1-2 tons.  It's hard to believe creatures like that ever roamed our planet...and I think that's part of the allure of the dinosaurs set to me.  In fact, this won't be the last of the cards you'll see during my COMC week from the Upper Deck Dinosaurs set (a later post will include some pretty awesome dino cards so stay tuned for that)!

PS:  If you are interested, I have a bunch of dinosaur cards available for trade (see my list here).

Comments