Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 592: 1993 Topps - #404 - Marlins Inaugural Edition parallel

Barry Larkin & Travis Fryman
Year:  1993
Brand:  Topps
Card number:  404
Subset:  All-Stars
Parallel set:  Marlins Inaugural Edition

One of the great things about being a player collector is that you often learn about sets (or in this case, a parallel set) that otherwise would have forever eluded me.  In 1993, Topps was all-in on celebrating the two new expansion teams, complete with a bunch of foil stamped parallels.  The Marlins inaugural set was a bit rarer than the Rockies (even in 1993 there were fewer Marlins fans I guess) but I don't think you can consider either set to be totally rare.  Still, it took me a number of years before I even heard about the two sets...and then about another year before I was able to track down all four Larkin cards from the two sets (I've had the Rockies' cards quite a bit longer than the two Marlins' cards). 

At this point in time, I'm still missing three more Barry Larkin cards from the '93 Topps set.   I need the two Topps Black Gold winner cards (versions A and A/B), I need the gold parallel of the All-Star card you see above.  At least, I think that is all of the different versions of Larkin's cards from 1993 Topps that I need.  Who knows, maybe in other four or five years I'll learn about yet another parallel version of the set.

Comments