Featured Post

Delivery Time! Tackling Some White Whales!

Many of my loyal readers probably know that I am a huge Cincinnati Reds fan - and with it, I am a collector of any and all things related to Barry Larkin (my all-time favorite player).  In fact, my ongoing Barry Larkin Collection series (in which I showcase each and every card in my collection) is up over 600 cards and still growing - in fact, I know I have at least 100+ more Barry Larkin cards to show off in the future.  I'm definitely proud of my collection but there has always been one HUGE gap in my Barry Larkin spreadsheet of cards in existence:  1998 Topps Tek.

The 1998 Topps Tek set is a monstrosity.  There are 90 players each with 90 different backgrounds for a total of 8100 base cards.  In addition, each of those base cards (except perhaps one version) has a diffractor version (not numbered but believed to have a print run of between 10 and 20).  Until my recent eBay purchase, I owned exactly ZERO of the 180 different Barry Larkin cards from the 1998 Tek set. 

Since I love cards on acetate - and I've always enjoyed the Tek brand - this was a major shortcoming of my collection.  It bothered me for quite some time, but I never could pull the trigger on any expensive Tek cards.  That is, I never could until now.

That's right, I recently splurged and purchased three different Barry Larkin cards from the 1998 Tek set.  I'll show off each one eventually as part of my ongoing Larkin Collection series - but here's a taste of what I acquired.

The patterns are #2, 28, and 51.  I definitely have a long, long way to go...but man, it feels great to at least have a few "yes" markings on my master checklist under the '98 Tek set!

Comments